Thursday, August 13, 2009

Smart Grid vs. Smart Home: What's In It For Me?

Not only do I work for Dawson PPD, I am also a Dawson PPD electric customer. I am able to think like a customer when I make some decisions. If you read yesterday’s blog you know I struggled with how a smart grid would benefit our customers.

Dawson PPD will start implementing a smart grid build in 2010 for our entire system that will take approximately 3 years to complete. We have applied for a stimulus grant that could pay for up to 50% of the project cost.

After our substations are upgraded, we will pilot 1,000 homes with smart grid services that will mean our customers can monitor and control their usage by changing some of the ways (or times) in which they complete tasks that require electricity.

Here’s my catch on watching my electric usage. I don’t want to be running to a monitor every 15 minutes to see if I’m using too much or using on a high peak time. If I have to do that, I won’t change a thing and will pay that higher rate. I want something (a device or notice) that will automatically change my usage pattern without impacting me significantly. My personal perspective will probably shape our business application.

There’s a big difference between Smart GRID and Smart HOME. Smart Grid is about the efficient control and transference of electricity along transmission or distribution utilities while the Smart Home is about managing your internal energy sources. GE has put together a simple video about the smart grid system and why it’s important to our future.

I already have a programmable thermostat (Smart HOME) which automatically adjusts to the times I set for when we’re home or not home. What more could I want…or need? Well, it has rained a lot and while I have an automated sprinkler system, it sure would be nice to turn it off (from ANYWHERE) when it starts raining without reprogramming it. Could my fridge keep track of what’s inside, including expiration dates and pre-order my regular groceries for pick up at my local store? The savings alone by not deviating from my confounded grocery list could be HUGE. These are smart home features, some of which are available now.

Now look at Smart GRID: Time of use (TOU) rates will be part of our rate structure in the near future. NPPD will begin a time of use rate pilot program in Chadron September 1st. In other words, if you choose to use electricity during peak times, your electricity will be measured and billed at a higher rate. This might mean I will put off running the dishwasher until after 9:00 p.m. or that I will have my heat pump and my hot water heater “controlled” by cycling them off for a few minutes every hour. Those two changes at home would probably save me lots of money.

That’s our future, my friend.

Gwen Kautz, Customer Service Manager
Dawson Public Power District

No comments:

Post a Comment